Friday, April 30, 2010

Rock Of Ages


Thursday April 29 2010

So the night before we leave for Dublin we thought we would go see the play Rock Of Ages. At the time I bought the tickets I thought it was a great idea but we still had lots to before going away so maybe not. Hind sight is always 20/20.

Anyway the play was okay. I really wanted it to be great but it was just okay. Was it because we were to excited about going away? I don't think so but maybe. The play is about the greatest music ever made.....all songs from the 80's including all my favorite hair metal songs. It's safe to say I loved the music. The story is built around the great songs but that was really the problem, it was just boring. I really did want to love this play but it didn't grab me. It was kinda like watching karaoke, good karaoke but a baaaad story. I'm not sure what story they could have told but I do know that this play needed something. I have read a lot of rave reviews on-line so I wonder if it was just me.

I did love some characters in the play. The narrator, played by a lovable chubby guy (fyi: most of us are very lovable), was excellent. There was also a guy that played a Bret Michaels (from Poison) lookalike that I thought was great but his part was way too small. Thinking about it I wonder if the cast was maybe just too big. Even today, the day after the show, I cannot put my finger on what the problem was, I just know it didn't blow me away like I had hoped it would.

If you're thinking about seeing it I say do, then let me know what you thought, maybe, I am just out in left field on this ...

play 2 out of 5
80's music from the play 5 out of 5

garry

Anyways we are OFF To Ireland ...

Have to agree with Garry on this one. It was fun but not great. The plot was super weak, the play even makes fun of itself on that exact point. It was just a vehicle for the music. That isn't necessarily a bad thing but in this instance it meant it lacked something. Certainly it was fun and the actors performed with tonnes of energy. If everyone in the cast hadn't been so excessively peppy it would have been a disaster. As it was, it was fine.
3/5
L

No comments:

Post a Comment