Monday, March 8, 2010

Saturday Afternoon


Saturday March 6 2010

After watching the worst Imax 3D movie I have ever seen Liz and I decided to go for a walk around the city. We love to walk around and go into the shops and look at everyone coming and going. We walked around Queen Street hitting all the favorite stores (ok I only have one favorite store The Silver Snail). We then hit China Town and watched at all the people buying their supplies and what not and we looked for a place to have lunch. Now in case you don't know me, I can be a bit frugal, Liz calls it down right cheap....I think I just love a bargain. We eventually found a place I liked, the sign read $4.00 BBQ pork with rice. I couldn't believe it! $4.00, wow! But Liz was not convinced. So we walked on and on. Finally she knew I would not let up and she said ok lets try the $4.00 place. We circled back and went in. Now this place really needs restaurant make over. The inside was really not much to talk about. On the walls written on card in markers are the specials. Not just one wall but all the walls. I admit at this point I was thinking maybe my cheap ways were not going to work this time. We decided to be brave and ordered anyway. As the waiter ran away with our order we saw that the restaurant had become very full and even had people waiting for tables! In fact it was so full we ended up sharing our table with a nice older Asian couple. The food came. BBQ pork and rice for me and bok choi in garlic sauce for Liz and we shared a corn soup. The food was excellent. Soooo good. I ate all the soup after telling Liz it was not very good so I wouldn't have to share it. What a find! Good food and great price. We will be back. Now I would tell you the name but I have no idea what it was lol but I know where it is and we will be back. Way better then any Chinese food we have ever had, not as good as our thai place but maybe second. We will be back.

After dinner more walking around Toronto then Subway home. A great day.

garry

It was a gorgeous day for walking around. Lovely and sunny for the first weekend in ages. One of those days were you really want a chance to enjoy being outside. And we did!

I have to laugh at Garry's raving about the restaurant. I think his cheap side is really showing through here lol. Sometimes I'm nervous about cheap as it's often an indication of a badly prepared, nasty excuse to dump crap on your plate and charge you for it. But in this case the bok choi was fresh and cooked to perfection, the soup was fine and the pork was tasty and crispy (ie not the crappy fatty cuts). So the meal was fine but quite basic (to be fair this is how Garry mostly likes his food), combine that with a low price point and the boy thought he'd died and gone to heaven. We were certainly full when we left and the bill came to $20 - so you can't fault that. And I'd go back even without Garry so they must have done something right!
L

No comments:

Post a Comment