Saturday, September 25, 2010

Dragon Con 2010







Dragon Con 2010


Liz and I love this con. It's in Atlanta and it's HUGE.This is one Con that we plan to go to every year. It's always on the long weekend so we take an extra day off and fly from Buffalo on the Friday. The flight from Buffalo is always early so we leave the house at like 2am and the flight is 6am. Leaving this early is easy for me but a bit early for Liz. Getting to airport and boarder was really easy and the flight was fast. Off the plane and we went to the hotel which was great because they let us check-in to our room early. Then off to get our pass which was the only shit part of the con....it took 2.5 hours to get my pass and that was the only problem with this con. I hear they're going to change things up next year which I really hope they do.

A big part of the weekend was just walking around and sitting in on different panels. And the best part is all the people dressed up and just watching what's going on. The other great thing this year was Liz paced herself had a mid-afternoon nap which helped us stay out later which was different from last year and I really enjoyed it.
some highlights from the con are:

Stan Lee's talk
All The Star Gate Panels
Crux Shadow (one song I saw)
Star Trek The Next Generation panel with all the stars
True Blood Panel (Lafayette was so quiet and Sam was great)
The Klingon panel with them dressed in full make up - should have done a picture with them
Liz buying Star Wars stuff (hey I thought was my thing)
Chick-fil-A the best chicken sandwich on the FUCKING planet
watching Claudia Christian walk out of the Babylon 5 panel - very weird
Larry Hagman was there and looked okay for an old guy
10 minute walk through art show- thats all I need
walking a bit around downtown Atlanta
Steam Punk Party
thats all I can think of...but I know I am missing lots as it was just so busy.

The flight home was easy and I got to have Chick-fil-A again - yummy. I was worried about crossing the boarder, that it would take forever on the Monday evening of a long weekend.But what we did was drive over to the Peace Bridge and crossed over there which was a breeze. I think we were at the boarder for about 10 minutes it was fucking great - that is the way we'll always come home. I think we got home by 9pm which was amazing.
Well we bought our tickets for next year's con and I can't wait. I plan to be there every year that I can and I think I can drag Liz with me.

garry
It was loads of fun and the entertaiment never stopped. Next year we're thinking of going a day early so that we don't have to miss stuff on Friday. We were so excited to get there that spending 3 hours in line (some of it in separate lines as we eventually line up based on our last names) really took the wind out of our sails. And also for next year: remember that we need our ID to get our passes. I knew that but STILL left Garry's wallet in the hotel and had to run back for it. It's waaaay too hot to be running anywhere in Atlanta but at least the crazy line-up meant I didn't have to kill myself lol. After going for our first Chick-Filet, Garry got to see lots of panels while I saw a few, checked out the art show and napped so that we could go out late every night (from 9/10pm til 2am) watching all the night life. I ate a lot of junk but also had the odd salad and drank a lot of water so I managed to keep going. I also got in line for things so that we could get better seats which worked out nicely - we never sit near the front but we like aisle seats with lots of leg room so it's handy not to be too late lining up. Although not a big deal if we're late either. The lining up was also good as it meant I chatted to lots of people which was fun. I love the bumper stuff that the Con puts on the screens before panels, some of it is hysterical and you tell they've put a lot of work into them. Must point out that very large police officer in front of me at Starbucks who ordered a rasperberry mocha is NOT the reason that I feel safe in downtown Atlanta lol. And Stan Lee rocks! Looking forward to next year already!
L
Notes for next year:
book flight for Thursday
leave at 1:30am if you have a 6am flight - this year we got to the airport at 3:50am which was shortly before the check-in counter even opened.

No comments:

Post a Comment