Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Last Lovecraft




Friday August 13,2010

The Last Lovecraft

The picture is of Liz dressed as the sea monster from the movie - cute eh? ( so proud of her lol)

Our first night at the Toronto After Dark Festival - we love going to this and seeing some different films. Today we saw a movie about a bunch of geeks that band together to save the earth from an invasion of deadly sea monsters. Yeah sounds great right (well maybe not to most reading this but to us it does) but it was kinda shit. I didn't understand the whole Lovecraft thing which Liz has explained to me but I just don't understand or more likely I just don't want to understand. The movie's main parts were done in animation which I found pulled me out of the show. The other big problem was it was way to long.
Not a great start movie wise but sometimes the best part of this festival is the crowd and the crowd was into this movie.

I have talked to people in line and they all seem to like this movie , I guess it was just not my cup of tea. Oh well 7 more days and 13 more films


2 out of 5

garry
I liked this way more than Garry did. It was fun and silly and I thought the monster and the other effects were great given that this was made on a budget. The film makers were there and said that they found the budget constraining in terms of what they'd have liked to do versus what they could afford to do. (Given we live in my in-laws basement I have a full appreciation of the compromises required when you live on a budget.) And in truth I didn't feel like the movie suffered due to the budget issues - I thought that the movie's sense of humour and the geeky nature of the characters really lent itself to using animation for some of the scenes and actually worked for the movie. Garry doesn't like any movie animation (but then he doesn't like cheese but loves pizza so don't look for any logic in this guy). So even if you don't know anything about HP Lovecraft, best known for his horror stories considered the successor of Edgar Allan Poe, this is still a fun, geeky movie.
3.5/5
L

No comments:

Post a Comment