Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl


August 17 2009

Well it is now day 4 of the After Dark Film Festival and I can say we are both getting a little sick of movies. I know, shocker! But seriously since Friday we have seen 7 movies. That's a lot. So on tonight's bill was Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl. Ok not a great title I know but the movie to me was a lot of fun. Not near as good as the film from the same guy last year Tokyo Gore Police but a fun film. There was gallons of blood, some very weird after school clubs and an oversexed school nurse....what more could you want lol.

Japanese movies are really hard to explain but people mostly love them or hate them, this one was OK. I liked it and I had a good time watching it. But not for most people who read this blog. If you want to get a feeling for it look for the trailer on line.

So I would say 3.5 out of 5

After this we were going to stay to watch Strigoi but we were toast so we just head home instead.

Tomorrow they start work on our new washroom - yeah!

4 more days of the festival and 4 more maybe 5 more films - yikes!

garry

I didn't enjoy this one as much as I'd hoped. But I'm loath to come down on it too hard as the writer / director went to some trouble to allow us to see this movie. Japanese movies rarely get distribution outside of their home country (apparently) because Japanese directors make their money at home and therefore don't care about the rest of us - fair enough really. BUT Yoshihiro Nishimura not only went to the trouble of insisting that his Japanese distributor made this movie available to certain (very small list of) film festivals around the world - including the Toronto After Dark - but he wrote a note explaining some of the Japanese subcultures to help us in our understanding of his movie. How nice is that! So whilst it wasn't one of my favourites I'm endorsing it for Nishimura's efforts to bring world cinema to all of us. And because Tokyo Gore Police was so so so excellent!
3/5

Then we headed home so I could stress out over what tiles to pick for the bathroom. I don't know what to do - there are just so many options! But I think I've made a decision. Wait until I write it out and hand it to Carly and he says you can't have THAT on the floor and THAT doesn't go on the wall either! lol

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment